Sunday, October 10, 2010

Menu Planning

On Friday, Chris travelled to Durham to pick up our things which had been in storage there for the past 15 months. While I am excited to have towels, our TV and my winter coat among a ton of other things, it is my now almost complete kitchen that I was really waiting for. I don't consider myself an amazing cook - I like to follow recipes, I don't do a ton of experimenting and I most definitely would never win a quick fire challenge on Top Chef since I need a few hours every Sunday afternoon to make my weekly meal plan. Regardless of all these factors, I love to cook and find much enjoyment in deciding what to make, shopping for all of the ingredients and then of course the actual cooking (and eating!).

As I sat down today to work out what we will eat over the next week, I thought you all might find it interesting to see how we eat a little differently here. Plus, I am asked quite regularly about groceries and such that I thought I could post how much a week's worth of food cost once I buy everything. No promises that this will be a weekly blog entry but you never know.

Dinners
Monday - Shepherd's Pie and steamed green beans
Tuesday - Homemade chicken fingers, baked sweet potato fries and steamed zucchini
Wednesday - Italian Tortellini Soup and crusty bread
Thursday - Roasted Vegetable Penne
Friday - Bangers (Sausages) and Mash with steamed carrots
Saturday - Leftovers (C is out at a school thing)
Sunday - Meatloaf, rice and gravy and steamed broccoli 

Lunches
Vegetable Pasta Salad (two days)
Tuna Salad Sandwiches
Black Bean Quesadillas
Vegetable English Muffin Pizzas
Saturday - Turkey Panini Sandwiches and homemade baked tator tots
Sunday - Hot dogs and chips

Breakfasts
Pancakes, Oatmeal, Eggs and Toast, Yogurt with homemade granola and fruit
Sunday - Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

Snacks
Granola, Pumpkin Bread, Hummus and Vegetable Sticks, Fruit Dip and Apples

So, that is the plan for the week. We will see how much it is going to cost me tomorrow morning. We do know that cooking/eating at home is a lot cheaper than eating out. I learned in Durham that eating at home is so much more enjoyable when you are eating food that is delicious. I can't wait for our first week of real cooking/eating and I think Chris and Madeline are excited too. 

Bon appetite! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I so hope Jim doesn't see this....No smart ones yet!!!! Ohhh I miss you.

Sissy said...

Oh how I miss good yummy shephard's pie that you can only buy in England... or were you making it?!! There are just some things that can't be replaced!! Wish I was there to grab coffee with you!! One day we will make it over!!!