Saturday, July 23, 2011

Thank you

I wanted to take just a moment to say thank you to everyone who has written or called after I posted below about the miscarriage. The responses have made me smile and cry at the same time! I hate that others have experienced similar losses. At the same time, it is encouraging to hear how you have walked through the process and are continuing to heal and grow.

Last week I attended a baby shower for a friend. I would be lying if I said there weren't a few moments of hurt and at times I wondered if going had been the right decision. I came home a little sad and a little discouraged. That night I read an email from a friend who after years of unsuccessfully trying to get pregnant recently adopted a beautiful little girl. I thought about how she had been so present and encouraging when I was pregnant with Madeline. She came to my baby shower and smiled and bought beautiful presents. She followed every post and bump picture. She was the first to say congratulations when Madeline was born. In short, she put aside her own feelings of hurt and disappointment to be my friend and celebrate with me. I never heard her complain or say that she needed space.

That is the example of a friend who loves through her own pain. That is the example that I wish to emulate.  That is the kind of friend God has called me to be.

I wrote my friend and apologized because, at the time, I didn't understand what she was going through. I was not as sensitive as I should have been. I was naive and although at some level I knew she was going through a hard time I had no idea of the hurt she was experiencing.

I am a better person and friend today because of her example. I hope that I can be the same in someone else's life.

No comments: