Sunday, March 04, 2007

Grocery Shopping

In light of the fact that I have promised myself that I would post on here at least once a week I thought I would share my grocery shopping experience yesterday. I typically shop once a week for most of what we need and during the week Chris will pick up more perishable items for me. We like to shop at this small vegetable / fruit stand owned by a family of local farmers - the produce is so good! Yesterday I picked up the following - 4 bananas, 2 med. white onions, 4 carrots, 2 heads of broccoli (enough for 3 meals), 2 large lemons - and we only paid 2 pounds = $4.00! On Wednesday Chris will pick up some other fruit, possibly apples or strawberries or more bananas and also milk and bread to last us until next Saturday.

You would think this is a good start to my grocery experience but it started going downhill fast! After leaving Robinsons (the produce shop) where you can only pay in cash I headed to Waitrose (the English version of Publix). Here we usually buy canned goods, meats, sauces, frozen things, etc. After about 45 minutes and with a pretty full cart I headed to the que (line). After all of my groceries had been bagged and ready to go I slid our UK bank card through the machine and proceeded to completely forget our pin code and effectively embarrass myself. Of course this one Saturday we had decided that I would shop by myself while Chris went to the library so he was nowhere around to help me out. The pin codes here are set by the bank and you have no control over what it is and can't change it and I can never remember it. Needless to say I went blank and didn't have any cash so I had to leave our groceries and send Chris back an hour later with the correct pin to pay and pick up the groceries. I was SO embarrassed!!!

From now on Chris will either go with me or send me with cash!! Other than the grocery fiasco this weekend has been pretty normal. Many of you will probably already know about the tornado that hit Americus, GA where my grandparents and aunt, uncle and cousins live. Although they are okay and their homes are okay so many other parts of Americus are destroyed and many people from Papa's church were affected. If you could keep the whole town and especially my family in your prayers in the coming weeks it would mean a lot to me. Thank you.

Love,
A.

2 comments:

Sissy said...

hehe oh the little things in life!! That was a good story for sharing!!
On another note we will be praying for your family and their friends in Americus! I was trying to think last week if I knew anyone down there!
On yet another note, Jono has officially been accepted to Cardiff and Manchester Universities so far. We are still waiting on the other results to come back, but so far so good. We are in somewhere if nowhere else!! YEH!! Love ya

Anonymous said...

I thought about your family when I heard about the tornados. I must admit I'm not regular about checking blogging sites, but I'm trying to get better so I can hear what you've been up to.
Glad you guys are doing well. Drop a line when you get a chance.